Thursday, April 9, 2020

A Witch's Kind: A Reflection

A Witch's Kind: A Reflection



          I haven't done a review in a while. Since this is a book I read in October of last year as my Halloween read, I decided this was more or less a reflection than a review since it has been a while and the content is no longer fresh in my mind. I chose this book for the title mainly. Who doesn't want to read about Witches during the All Hallows Eve season? I had gone to my local library and was looking at their new releases and pulled this one to read the summary on the inner flap. Safe to say it sounded extremely compelling so I took it home and started to read. I had an extremely hard time putting it down!

          As my memory serves me, This novel is about the tribulations of young witch named Barrie Ann Blythe who kind of reminded me of Sally Owens from Alice Hoffman's "Practical Magic". She fell in love and got married against her Aunt Charlotte's Advice. There had always been a secret in the family and Barrie Ann was unaware of what gifts she had. 

Well anyway her husband was sketchy at best and abandoned his wife. In my opinion, it was for the best. The guy was an asshole for all intensive purposes. Her dog finds something in the water at the back end of  the farm land. It was a baby! Barrie Ann and Aunt Charlotte became attached to this baby and take her in to raise her themselves. The baby shows signs of being, well... unusual. She has her own gifts. Barrie Ann tries her hardest to conceal the baby's abnormality which made the baby a pretty cool character!

The book pretty much details of Barrie Ann and Aunt Charlotte with this unknown origin baby and a husband that is kind of a thorn in Barrie Ann's side. There's heart-warming scenes. Suspense, some sadness, but as all good books have, a happy ending!

I would gladly recommend Louisa Morgan's work to others. I actually want to read other books of hers at some point. To make this more of  reflection is what I gained from reading this. Everyone is different and have their own metaphorical abnormalities but they are the ones who need to be loved and nurtured the most. I also learned the past needs to stay in the past, it's there for a reason. The last thing I took from this book was to always stay true to yourself. You may not have magical powers like a witch does but you are the only you and you need to accept yourself and find how to practice self love. Embrace the odd things about yourself.




No comments:

Post a Comment