Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Excerpt from my upcoming book, The Golden Sword

The Golden Sword

Excerpt from the beginning of a novel I started.

Image result for golden sword

*Author's Note*
This idea really just popped into my head. I was thinking about The Sword In The Stone and it got me into thinking why does it always have to be a male in those times that end up being heroic? Can't a woman or even a female child come up on top? That's where I came up with the idea of the main female lead. The rest sort of just came to me as I was typing. Constructive Criticism Welcome!**

It was a starry night yonder in the Rolling Rock Kingdom. She was a young maiden whom wanted so much more in life. She didn’t want to pay service to the spoiled royals of the land any longer. Without her parents approval she had run away and laid out under the shelter of the Earth staring up and thinking about her future. 

Her name was Amelia Thorne and of just thirteen years of age, she longed for adventure. She didn’t wish to settle and be betrothed in an arranged marriage within the village. The thoughts of such made her cringe, especially thinking of the suitor her parents have chosen for her. She thought not of the dangers that may surface out of the kingdom walls; the dragons, trolls, and goblins. None of which seemed to worry this young and attentive girl. 

She was of fair skin, long, fine silver flowing locks that hung to her waist. No taller than a torch struck into the ground. Her slenderness would have most women gawk in envy. As she lay in the grass staring up at the night sky with her gentle arctic blue eyes,  a mile outside the kingdom walls in a spacious field, where she used to play freely with her brother as a mere baby. She dedicated everything she did to her older brother who had been captured by a band of Goblins when he was only six years of age never to be seen alive again. 

She thought of her brother a moment and got up from the grass in which she laid. She walked on with only the full moon as guidance. She arrived shortly at a grassy cemetery with a collaborated mass of wooden crosses. She came upon her brother’s and fell to her knees in mourning. “Brother, I hope you can hear me” she said as she stared at the stars once more as if looking into the eyes of a loved one. “I am lost, I do not wish to marry, and I do not want to be a part of our family’s solemn routine, day by day is daft” She continued. 

She heard a twig crack and she spun around to see behind her. There was a black Labrador standing there staring at her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment